Thursday 19 February 2009

17th Century Textile Colours


One of my first ever research projects was on 17th century costume.
I got a beautiful old, old costume book from the library and much to my disgust - I can't remember the name of it.
Anyway - from that book I made a note of the names used for textile colours in that era.
They are so evocative and always set the imagination running.

~
PANSY FLOWERING; RAYFLAX BLUE; SUMMER BLUE; ROYAL BLUE; TURQUOISE; WATER COLOUR; PALE BLUE; BEAN BLUE; PASTEL;
~













~
DAWN; CORAL; PEACH BLOSSOM; PALE YELLOW; GOLDEN YELLOW; CANARY; SULPHUR
~










~
WILLOW GREEN; BUDDING GREEN; BRIGHT GREEN; BOTTLE GREEN; SEA GREEN; VERDIGRIS; GOSLING GREEN;
~
~

GREY; DOVE; ARGENT; PEARL GREY; SLATE, PIGEON; SILVER GREY; CRYSTALLINE;
~



~
REDDISH PURPLE;BRIGHT RED; AMARANTH; CARNATION; RUSSETT; SCARLET; OX BLOOD; ORANGE; NONAIN - ROSY WHITE;
~


















And colours to try and get our minds around.
I'll have a go...
~
I love the idea of SICK SPANIARD - a yellowy olive.
JUDAS COLOUR- Silver.
TEMPS PERDU- I see this as a pale violet.
ANGRY MONKEY- Is red brown too obvious?
APE'S LAUGH- Again, a reddy colour. But only if they were always being pedantic
RESURRECTION - Oh Gawd! A blue-grey????
KISS ME DARLING - Pale pink, maybe.
TRISTAMI - Sorry, can only think of pepparami here. Oops.
MORAL SIN - Love this. A deep, vibrant, singing red.
SCRATCH FACE - Purpley (if there's such a word)
SMOKED OX HAM COLOUR - Pinky, purpley (if it's not a word, it should be!)
LOVE LONGINGS - Help!
CHIMNEY SWEEP - Too obvious????
FADING FLOWER - Mmmn. Pastel. Maybe like ashes of roses.
DYING MONKEY - Black, brown....ish
MERRY WIDOW - Deep Purple - nearly black but not quite.
~~
I'd love to hear about your ideas :o)

No comments: