Tuesday 3 March 2009

Perceptions of Historical Characters



Gathering all my preparatory materials together to make the scene 'The White Lady' led me re-read a lot of my research materials on Anne of Austria, the Spanish wife of Louis XIII.

There are several zillion references to Anne on the Web and in books and I have come to an uncomfortable conclusion. My perception of Anne seems to be very different to the orthodox representations of her.

Yes, she was religious.
Yes, she was treated abominably by her husband.
Yes, she gave birth to, arguably, the best known king of France.
Yes, she battled breast cancer.
And yes, it is undeniable, she was able to make people love her completely and unconditionally.

But those very same people who supported her through all the bad times were...

Exiled,
Burned in effigy,
Imprisoned in the Bastille,
Imprisoned in Vincennes,
Died mysteriously whilst imprisoned in both the above,
Subjected to the question extraordinary,
Conveniently killed on the battlefield by a stray bullet,
Barred from ever returning to France,
And - Beheaded.

Anne of Austria stood in front of a tribunal charged with involvement in a plot to murder her husband.
And - as religious as she undoubtably was - she lied TWICE on the Holy Sacrement.

I have two points here.
No.1 - I've already admitted that I throw books written by those whose POV of a true historical figure disagrees with mine. (Maybe not the wisest admission)
No.2 - Taking in mind the above - How many will violently disagree with my own POV?

Oh, and No.2a - When a writer has researched as deeply as they can, how important is it that others (readers, writers, academics) agree or disagree with That Writer's own personal POV?

Ah and No.2b - How many writers would give this a second thought?

My Anne is my Anne.
She is based on recorded and verifiable historical evidence.

The perception is mine and, despite everything above, I absolutely adore her.

1 comment:

Jackie Hodson said...

test...blogger gone mad!!!!